Understanding Substance Abuse & Addiction
According to the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), addiction is a “primary chronic disease of the brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry.” Addiction is characterized by the inability to stop using harmful substances despite its negative effects on your personal and professional life. Prolonged use of these substances can cause greater dependence on them and increase your risk of disability or premature death.
Whether you or someone you love is struggling with alcohol or drug abuse/addiction, it’s vitally important that you know the facts, understand the potential dangers, and are able to make a difference. With that in mind, here is a collection of resources to help you get the information you need.
- Alcohol Facts– Find out the facts about alcohol and alcohol abuse. Learn how alcohol works and its effects on the body and brain. Get information about the prevalence of alcoholism and what to watch for.
- Signs & Symptoms of Alcohol Abuse– It’s important to know the warning signs and behavior patterns that can reveal when someone you love is abusing alcohol.
- Treatment for Alcohol Addiction– Active participation in an effective, evidence-based recovery plan can help you embrace a renewed, reinvigorated life of sobriety.
- Marijuana Facts– Learn what you need to know about the most readily available and widely used illicit drug in the United States.
- Teens & Marijuana Abuse– Get the facts on teens’ feelings regarding marijuana use… and learn the realities of its effects on their still-developing brains.
- Treatment for Marijuana Addiction– Treatment works. Get information about marijuana treatment and how to end the cycle of abuse and addiction.
- Heroin Facts– Get the straight story about this powerful opioid narcotic and its dramatic effects on behavior, health, livelihood and so much more.
- Signs & Symptoms of Heroin Abuse– Heroin use is dangerous. It’s also an epidemic. Know what to look for in the behaviors of those you love. It could save a life.
- Treatment for Heroin Addiction– Discover Rosecrance’s evidence-based program that incorporates multiple strategies into a comprehensive, effective treatment plan.
Substance Abuse and Addiction in Teens
Substance Abuse and Addiction in Adults